Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I miss my sis

 

2010-05 (May)

It is still funny thinking about you being away at college. For some reason in my mind you will always be the little 7 year old who bravely came to live with her big sis 2,000 miles away from home.

You came because I cried every day from being homesick.

You packed your little bag and Mom sent you off to stay with me.

You didn’t cry once.

Later we used to laugh that it was because you didn’t miss Mom and Dad, but I know it was because just you loved me that much.

You happily slept on that bed Andrew brought home for you, and had scripture study with us every night.

Andrew also gave you whatever you asked for and did things with you he still won’t do with our own kids.

You were also there to hold Drew when he was born. Seeing you and Mom hold in him in your arms was priceless.

It’s funny how it took me getting married and moving that far away for to me realize how much I still needed my family.

That one, brave little girl, could bring more than her small suitcase of belongings. That she could also bring me the peace and contentment that I had been searching for.

Your selfless example at such a young age deeply and forever touched my heart. Your willing sacrifice was truly the light of Christ shining through you. 

And that is why I think you will always be that little 7 year old in my mind.

Many will call you friend.

Few are privileged to call you sister.

Thank you for being my friend and my sister.

 

2 comments:

April said...

Awe! You know Laura is my Anna :) She used to come "live" with me almost every summer, until she got married. I pretend it was for her...but it really was for me. I don't know how I have gotten along this far, with living by both my sisters. Everyday is so hard.
We are both so lucky!

Anna Goose Monster said...

Oh Michaela! You are my special big sister! I love you dearly and you know I would do anything for you. I am reading this in the library at school and it is taking everything I have not to break down into tears. I miss you terribly up here, and I wish I could talk to you on the phone but somehow every week it is just Serelle that talks to me for a good 30 minutes haha
I hope everything is going well with you my best big sister! I am grateful to you for being a good example to me also and showing me unconditional love, even with all my flaws you are always there encouraging me along telling me to just be me. For that I am eternally grateful to call you my wonderful big sister.